Sunday, October 26, 2008

One flight down, three to go…today!

(Disclaimer- much of this post talks about how helpful my parents have been. I promise it’s not just because I know at least one parental unit is following this blog!)

I’m not sure when I’ll have internet access, but I thought I’d make the most of my time during this layover (so there might be several entries going up at the same time). I made it to Dallas/Fort Worth where my parents very nicely provided me with a one-day pass for the Delta Crown room. (Yes I’m flying American, but my mom and I spent some time in this Crown room when we went to Colorado this summer and it’s very nice! Plus, my parents are frequent travelers on Delta so it was easy for them to get.) Based on some previous flights on Delta, I have not been the biggest fan of the airline; however I have to say the staff in this room is consistently nice and professional. In fact, the gentleman at the desk today offered to give me a one-day pass to use on my return, just to be nice! (My parents already had that covered.)

Yesterday (Friday) was quite busy. My mom helped me sort through the MOUNTAIN of clothes I brought to Hampton and I think we settled on some nice outfits for this trip. She also provided me with a very comfortable traveling outfit so that I can look like a professional and still survive the 13 ½ hour flight from Dallas to Tokyo! Once we accomplished that, it was time to head to my old high school. I think I’ve only been back there once since I graduated, so it was a little strange going from knowing everyone in the building to knowing just a handful (and in turn, not being known myself)! Luckily for me, my old English teacher (and the current principal) was in the parking lot when I got there, so I immediately felt comfortable. I know this blog is supposed to be about the big trip, but I would like to point out that I had 51 students come to that information session…I don’t know the total enrollment there, but I do know the current senior class has fewer than 80 students, so I was pretty excited to have such a big group!

After that we ran some errands and picked up lunch then headed home for more packing. After a great deal of discussion, we settled on a combination of checked baggage and carry-on bags and made it all fit. Then it was off to Busch Gardens for some Howl-o-Scream fun. Despite the heavy crowds, we were able to go through all 5 of their haunted “mazes” and even catch one of the shows. We also saw a very intoxicated person removed from line. (Side note, I know many of you have heard my stories of Busch Gardens Beer School, so this might sound odd, but I was shocked by the amount of alcohol consumption I witnessed last night. In the past, alcohol was only allowed in specific areas, but those restrictions did not seem to be in place last night! You could definitely smell the alcohol in some places. I even heard a group of people complaining that the park stopped serving alcohol at 9:30- 30 minutes prior to closing. Seriously, you’re at a family theme park for some Halloween activities, and that’s what you’re complaining about?? ) Wow, just as I was discussing the alcohol consumption at BG, they roll in a new keg for the Crown Room. I could not have timed that better!

I did have a tense moment yesterday. Those of you that know me well know how much I like taking pictures (especially on a trip like this!) My last camera died the night before my college graduation. Luckily I had a very good friend around with plenty of disposable cameras and she promised to take oodles of pictures, then my dad actually gave me his digital camera (which was almost new) to use at the party and I’ve been snapping away with it ever since. As we were leaving BG, we saw a swan just hanging out in the water. When I tried to take a picture, my camera started acting up. Short ending to the story, I think I was able to fix it, but if everyone could keep their fingers crossed that it makes it through this trip, that would be great! (My back up plan will be to once again stock up on disposables, so there should be plenty of pictures, regardless.)

Apparently there were some very strong winds working against us this morning, so we were a few minutes late in landing, but “within the 14 minute window to be considered on-time” according to our pilot. I had no idea there was an “on-time window” for flights- I thought if you landed at the scheduled time, you were on time, if not, you weren’t. Is that just an American Airlines thing? It was kind of funny listening to the pilot talk about the winds being stronger than anticipated. He sounded like he was taking it personally, as if the winds were conspiring to specifically keep him from getting to Dallas.

Well I should probably head over to my gate now. Next stop Tokyo!

No comments: